Credit : Explore TV – Guru Productions

The Norfolk Island Government House is one of the earliest Government House buildings in Australia. The first and second Government Houses were built near Kingston Pier at a spot known as the Landing Place.  In 1803 it was decided to build another on Doves Plot at Chimney Hill, which is where Government House is now.  The house was deliberately burned down in 1814 at the end of the First Settlement.

During the Second Settlement the new Commandant needed a house, so building started in 1828.  It was finished in 1829, and verandahs were added in 1833.

When the Pitcairners came to Norfolk Island, in the third settlement, the house was empty, and it began to fall down. The islanders began to repair the house and George Hunn Nobbs moved in.  At one time it was used as a school, at another as the doctor’s house.

In 1896 the Chief Magistrate lived in the house, and it was not until 1913 that the first Administrator used it as a residence.

Government House today is about 1000 square metres, and it is very strongly built.  Rooms have been added to it over the years. The builders built it to be able to survive an attack from convicts and the walls are 60 centimetres thick. In that era iron bars and strong shutters protected the windows and cannons guarded the entrance.

The Administrator still has Government House as his home, and it is also used for official dinners and as a place where important visitors to the island can stay.

Open Days are held in Government House to raise money for charities and visitors to the island like to visit.

Inquire at the Tourist Information Centre for the next charity open day and hopefully there will be one during your stay.

Kingston Sites of Interest Map 1- 46 ( PDF )

Download Link here :

Collect a printed version of the map from the Pier Store Museum

Notable Site : No.37 Government House